Tuesday, April 30, 2013

  Today is wash day for my natural hair. I am always looking for a good deep conditioner. I have been completely 'natural' for about a year now, my BC was Feb 2012 last relaxer 10/2011. I am still trying to pin down a routine. If I put it in twists I expect it to stay longer than a week but its difficult to condition it without making the twists frizzy. I am thinking of two large french braids or flat twist until I pin down a routine. That enable me to take it down weekly to co-wash & DC, without crying from taking down twists. It would also help me keep my hands out of it being as its a protective style. 
  Having said all of that the next DC I plan to try is from the  Nappturalistic Beauty website. I have been following her on Facebook and I like what I see. Below is the link. Let me know if you have a routine that works for you or if you've tried this one before.

  This is the link to her recommended hair routine  http://nappturalisticbeauty.com/?page_id=2

  This is the recipe to her DC. Avocados are on sale right now and I have coconut oil from Tropicaltraditions.com so this one looks very doable;


Avocado Coconut Twist Deep Conditioner

by Nappturalistic Beauty (Notes) on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 5:27pm
Avocado Coconut Twist Deep Conditioner~
This is my favorite one & only deep conditioner that I use for my tresses on a weekly basis.  Depending on my schedule on my wash day, I leave it in my hair for a minimum of 2 hours.  Sometimes I have slept in it, leaving it in overnight.
My curls are very soft, silky, well-defined and very manageable once I rinse the conditioner out.  My hair is soft that I don’t have detangle…..my fingers literally slide right through my hair.  I love this conditioner so much, I highly doubt that I will ever purchase another store bought conditioner.

Ingredients:
  • One ripe avocado
  • One ripe banana
  • ½ can of coconut milk (freeze the other half)
  • 3-4 tablespoons of honey
  • 3-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 3-4 tablespoons of Coconut Oil

  1. Combine all these ingredients in your blender and blend until very smooth.  You want to make sure that you don’t have any chunks or bit & pieces of avocado and banana.  If it isn’t blended well, you will be picking bits and pieces of avocado and banana out of your hair for days.
  2. The consistency should be very creamy like yogurt or pudding.  It should not be liquidly or runny, if so, you will have constant drippies and nobody wants that.  ;)
  3. Apply the conditioner to your hair from root to tips.  Any remaining conditioner can be refrigerated until the following week.  Or, it can be frozen until your next use.
  4. Wrap your hair in plastic wrap and then put a plastic baggie on top.  I also use a thick headband (the one athletes use) to prevent any possible drippies.
  5. Leave on a minimum of ½ hour.  Rinse with warm water.  Once all rinsed out, rinse your hair with cool water to seal and close your hairs cuticle. 
  6. Style your hair as desired.

Why did I choose those ingredients?
  • Avocado – Strengthens & fortifies your hair making it soft & shiny, prevents hair loss & frizz, contains nutrients that are great for hair growth; hydrates the scalp and reduces dandruff 
  • Banana – Great for softening the hair & protecting the hairs natural elasticity, preventing split ends and breakage. It enhances the strength, shine and endurance of the hair strands, creating manageability and growth.
  • Coconut Milk – Is a natural moisturizer that contains proteins which strengthen the hair and help minimize breakage.  Makes the hair soft & supple and also helps in controlling hair fall.  It also contains vitamin e & fats that nourishes the hair, protecting the hair and scalp from UV rays.
  • Honey – Is a natural humectant that attracts moisture and water and holds it to the hair.
  • Olive Oil – Contains vitamin e, controls hair fall, promotes hair growth & nourishes the hair follicle and shaft.
  • Coconut Oil – Is the best natural nutrition for your hair, helps in healthy growth of hair and makes hair shiny.  It’s also a great conditioner that aids in the re-growth of damaged hair and slows the growth of gray hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment